Instead of going out, we bought some fresh pasta and mushroom from Whole Foods to make Valentine’s dinner at home this year. We also cooked up some roasted brussel sprouts with bacon my favorite). It was a nice, quiet Valentine’s day without the hassle.
This weekend was also my first time visiting the new Whole Foods Market on 22nd and Pennsylvania and I’ve got to say that I’m in love with it. This Whole Foods features extensive offerings ranging from sushi and smoked meats to organic salads and Neapolitan pizzas; two full pubs, a mobile cocktail cart, gourmet coffee bar and juice bar; a140-seat food hall; and in-store venues from CHeU Noodle Bar, Dizengoff, Severino Cucina Rustica and Wiz Kid. I love ramen from CHeU Noodle Bar and am so glad to be able to order it casually while getting my groceries.
Mushroom Florentine Pasta Recipe
8 ounces uncooked pasta
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 ounces shredded cheese of choice
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- Boil pasta to cook it until al dente.
- Whisk together flour, chicken broth, milk, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- When oil begins to ripple add sliced mushrooms, sauté for 6 minutes. Add minced garlic, sauté for 2 more minutes until garlic just begins to brown.
- Whisk flour, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper mixture into mushrooms and garlic, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese, stir until cheese has melted.
- Mix in spinach, allow to wilt.
- Add drained pasta to skillet, toss to coat.